RCU Forums - View Single Post - gas or glow and older radio
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WMB
Hi all,
I have not flown in a few years. Looking to get back into it. Gas vs glow- at what engine size does the weight trade off make sense to go gas? Hope that made sense. Is gas a good choice for .40 size aircraft like the 4*40 or is the engine too heavy? I am thinking a 4*60 or similar would be a viable choice for gas??? Saito 82, and 65. OS55ax and 25fx have all been good to me. No local source of glow anymore. I do have a few cases stashed away.

Radio- I have the FM Futaba 7c. I have had good luck with that, any reason to update other than interference on my channel??

Thanks, MikeB
OLD timer here. Been away from R/C for an eternity. I am having to re-learn the entire culture, technologies, supply, and demand. I personally would-not and will-not fly with an old radio system. I got some good info from this thread. I am noticing some of the young culture views anything 10yrs old or older as gone, passed, old stuff, waste of time. Many are totally focused on flying and want a foamy that can be crashed, quickly glued, and put back into the air. I have not tried electric yet. When I look at engines I look at the four cycle glow .70 and .90 displacements. Gas engines I look at the 20cc engines. That is my sweet spot at the moment. Planes are almost non-existent. Not sure about the Transmitters but I am getting a lot of promotion of the Spectrum (claims of more compatibility, owned by Horizon Hobbies), Futaba (old reliable, very large diverse corporation, slow with innovations), Frsky (honorable mention). You can purchase glow fuel online now days. Talk to your bank about how to safely make online purchases. I have full size boats I will not use old fuel in them. Might want to do an evaluation on your stored fuel before it wastes your time

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.