RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 12:49 PM
stroker280
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read this thread several times and decided to pull the trigger and get the Saito 60cc. Engine came in and got all my tools together unboxed and went to work at the kitchen table. First thing I checked was the cylinder screws. They were all tight. I removed one and it had red thread lock on the threads and a washer under the screw. New thread lock and reinstalled. Moved on to the valves. Removed all the rocker covers and checked the clearance on the rockers. Several I couldn't get the feeler guage under. To tight. Reset all valves as recommended. Spark plugs were set at 0.020 and reinstalled. Built a plywood test stand like someone had earlier in this thread and mounted everything up. Mixed Red Line oil 15:1 ratio with 91 ethanol free gas. Installed 22x10 prop. Here we go. Carb was set at 2 turns open on the main and 7 turns on the low. Motor would not stay running. Would die after about 2 seconds. Would burn off the gas in the carb barrel from choking and die. Pulled motor back off of stand and removed carb. Took carb apart and noticed the diaphrams were installed worng from the factory. These things are clear and hard to see. My recommendation to Saito would be to have a blue tint so they can be easy to see and install like the Walbro carbs. Put back together and cranked right up. Ran smooth even with a rich idle. I opened up the main about a 1/4 more turn and ran 24oz of fuel through it. I would increase speed to about half throttle to clear it out and then back to idle every 3 or 4 minutes which was a little high around 1800. I did get it to idle at 1300 to 1400 but preferred 1800 with the rich needle settings. Highest temp noticed was 189 checked with my pyrometer at half throttle. It ran around 160 at 1800rpm. Forgot to mention I installed the Keleo exhaust ring that I ordered when I ordered the motor. Sure does sound good. On another note in my opioion I would recommend to everyone that has this motor to slowly increase the engine speed from a idle to wide open throttle to give the cylinders time to clear out to prevent any hydraulic lock from being loaded up during idle from rich needle settings. Going to build a Top Flite Corsair over the winter months to put this motor in. I will further test and adjust during after flying. Not worried about wide open throttle until I get it in the air. Now I am building a Hangar 9 Carbon Cub with the Saito FG-21. Got this motor to test and run later. Back out to the shop to run some more fuel through the 60. Hope this post helped somebody.

Later Jeff