RCU Forums - View Single Post - engine choice
Thread: engine choice
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Many years ago, I used to see guys bring quarter scale Cubs out to the field with what seemed like giant engines in them. These were generally something like a Zenoah G 23 or a ST 3000 and I would just sort of turn away in disgust. Then around 2000 or so the Saito 150 and 180 became available and I tried those in Cubs and thought they were just great for a few years. Around 2010, the DLE 30 became available and I tried that engine in a Cub and completely fell in love with it. It had everything I was looking for in an engine to power a Cub. Lightweight, it runs clean, requires a smaller gas tank than a glow engine, it runs smoother than most other engines I have tried and overall it was just a much happier and pleasant engine to live with. You can just putt putt around with the throttle just over idle and do that all day long if you want. Or if you want to get wild and crazy, you have the power to do it with. So overall I guess I am a convert to larger engines in Cubs as long as they fit my requirements. I still don’t like to see a large, overweight, gutless engine in a Cub and I hate the mess from any glo engine.