RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Poop has hit the fan !
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
In the most recent version of HR 302, Section 336 is repealed. So yes, the hobby will be in direct FAA control. When questioning one of the clauses in Part 107, I was told by a medical examiner that people who were denied a medical certificate, also cannot use Part 107. So commercial drones are out. Will this also be the case with model airplanes? Because this bill does not prohibit the FAA from mandating a minimum medical requirement. There will also be a certification test involved. Overall, the media outcry against incompetent drone operators may be a contributing factor in this, and it may be the same way with some modelers in clubs. The AMA may have to start being a little more selective on who it accepts as members.
This medical examiner may be incorrect for now, you do not need a Certificate of Airmanship to fly under 107. This is the screwy part of 107, you take a basic written knowledge based exam and renew it every two years, but do not need to fulfill any other requirements to fly under 107. Many who do hold pilot licenses and commercial ratings question the validity of this so called "drone" license, meaning if I had my medical pulled and held a commercial license, could I still fly under 107? Technically, yes, because 107 is neither a license nor an endorsement rating to a license. I suspect that soon the FAA will require someone to hold a GA and then work to have a commercial drone rating added.