RCU Forums - View Single Post - HobbiStar 60 MK III wants to CLIMB
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbiStar 60 MK III wants to CLIMB

I have a Hobbistar 60 MK III that a friend gave me. He crashed it and didn't have time to repair it. The wing was perfect, just some torn covering. No problem to fix that.

The fuselage was not bad. It had a small break on one side that looked like something had punched it. I was able to straighten that and added a 1/16" piece of plywood about 2" x 3" on the inside surface of that side. Epoxied it.

The vertical fin was broken off. I added 3 dowels, make from chop sticks, into the fin and into the fuselage and glued with 30 minute epoxy. A small amount of Monokote on the fuselage side, new motor mount, servos, OS 61FX, and 12x6 prop. It looked almost new. CG was right on at 3", per the manual.

When I flew it, it took off like a race plane! That 61FX is a powerhouse. It wanted to climb, and climb it did. I ended up with full down trim on my DX9 and it flew almost level. During the flight the muffler flew off (had been repaired with JB Weld), so I landed it.

Looking at the elevators now, I see they are at 10 degrees down.

When I repaired it nothing was changed in the wing saddle, wing incidence, tail incidence, or firewall. It's a different kind of motor mount, but a brand new one mounted flush on the firewall.

Any ideas why it wants to climb like that?
Jack