RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where do you set the throttle fail safe?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CARS II
I have always set mine to completely close the throttle killing the engine on my turbines when activated ( never had one happen yet ) reading the rules once again ( 510-a, 9. All radios must be equipped with fail safe and ECUs shall be configured to shut down the engine
within 2 seconds of fail safe activation ) I understand that I can set the radio fail safe to idle and if it goes to fail safe passed 2 sec then the ECU will shutdown the engine.

Yes? No?

Tks.
This is something that I have mentioned before as I think it is often misunderstood.

If you set your radio failsafe to idle then, if the model goes into failsafe, then the receiver will output an idle signal. The ECU will see this as an idle signal and will just put the turbine to idle forever (i.e. it won't shut down as it doesn't know if this is you putting the throttle to idle or a failsafe condition). You need to use the failsafe setting procedure for your ECU to allow the ECU to control the idle/shut down process (or set the failsafe to shut off to force an immediate shut down if a failsafe occurs). This usually involves setting a failsafe position that is outside of the normal throttle travel so that the ECU knows it is a failsafe condition.