RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build
Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Next up were the wings.

I made the wings separate at the scale wing fold line and worked on the outer wing panels. Like the tailplane these were of a traditional built up sheeted construction.

With the wing designed in CAD, I separated the flaperons and 3D printed them, split into 3 pieces to fit the printer build space.

Once glued together, the flaperons were glassed to give a consistent surface and to reinforce the CA joints before getting a Duratec surface coat.

The full scale has raised rivets on the flaperon, so a few head scratches working out how to reproduce the rivets. I eventually settled on laser cutting a rivet pattern into a thick sheet of self-adhesive stencil paper, applying the stencil to the flaperon surface and then filling the holes with Duratec surface coat. Once dry, the excess primer was sanded off and the stencil paper removed. An instant set of raised rivets. The only downside is that the rivets are raised but flat topped, not domed, but hopefully once painted the difference will be negligible.