RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 04:12 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Less well-known than Fonck, as well, I think. Here's this morning's clue, and a few additional words for Clue No. 1.

A name-the-pilot quiz. His name is far from being a household word, but he was very well known in his day.

1. The highest-scoring ace of his service, the highest-scoring ace ever born in what is now a particular country (though it was part of a different country when he was born), and possibly the highest scoring ace in one particular sort of aircraft, though there are no solid statistics about that. I have deliberately used the word "sort" in the previous sentence to avoid using a technical term. I have in mind something a little broader than "class," and much broader than "type." I don't know what specific airplane or airplanes he flew.

2. After the war, he lived in two countries which had been on the side against which he had fought.

3. He claimed a larger number of unconfirmed victories than confirmed ones. The unusually high ratio of unconfirmed to confirmed victories was probably attributable to the fact that he flew many of his missions unaccompanied by other aircraft.

4. He was awarded a medal which, at the time, had been given to only one other person who was not a general.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 10-27-2018 at 04:31 AM.