RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Not so sure I agree with that last clue. The Mig-25 was fast and had an impressive rate of climb but it took half of Siberia to turn at speed. After Viktor Belenko defected to the west, bringing a Mig-25 with him, it was learned that the Mig was no match for the American F-15 below 60,000 feet. Above that, the Mig was able to climb away from the F-15 with relative ease. What was learned is that the Mig-25 was a 1970's version of the German ME-163 Komet as it could climb to altitude, make one or two attack runs against its hypothetical B-70 bomber targets and return to base. When the B-70 project was cancelled by President Kennedy in March, 1961, the Mig became a plane without a mission.
Sparky; we may differ in our opinions, but I think you will agree there is NO unimportant advantage on a fighter. The clue I gave stated "speed and rate of climb were more important than maneuverability for a fighter"; and I think that's true. The most important thing is speed. As McCudden said of the Se5; (para) "It's very nice to be flying a fast airplane; so, if you get into difficulty, you can simply leave". And, speed means your opponent often CAN'T leave when he wants to. The next in importance is rate of climb; which is simply speed vertically rather than horizontally. And who can argue the value of having the high ground? After speed and rate of climb comes maneuverability; and maneuvering is essentially a defensive maneuver. You're trying to make the other guy miss you or to get on his tail after he missed you. If he's faster, he can leave. If he has a better rate of climb, he can leave vertically. And then you have to make him miss when he comes back down. Which is when maneuvering is essential. But we can differ; that's okay.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was originally designed to serve one purpose, but wound up serving several.

2. But it was never a star performer in its original purpose; although that could be argued.

3. And it gave birth to an entire family of aircraft.

4. It was originally intended to be a fighter.

5. But it was decided, after testing, it wasn’t maneuverable enough to successfully fulfill the role of a fighter.

6. It was, however, rugged and solidly built and easily controlled.

7. It was very fast.

8. And it could climb rapidly.

9. And it had a high ceiling.

10. The engine was powerful and reliable.

11. And the plane had a good range and could stay aloft an impressively long time.

12. So, rather than abandon it, it was decided to convert it to a reconnaissance aircraft.

13. And even a light bomber.

14. Still, a number of them were produced as fighters.

15. Perhaps, at the time, it wasn’t yet realized speed and rate of climb were more important than maneuverability for a fighter.

16. The construction method used freed it from much of the wire bracing used on most aircraft of the day.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 10-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.