RCU Forums - View Single Post - Storing gas engines during off-season?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by r ward
I've always used Marvel Mystery Oil. pull the plug a good shot in the cylinder and put an old plug back in. a good squirt down the carb throat with the throttle wide open. a few flips, pull the prop and it's good for the winter. never had any problems what so ever in the soring. to get ready for flight, a shot of methanol in the plug hole and carb throat then spin the engine upside down so it drains with a starter and the plug out. wipe the engine off with a rag put a little fuel in the cylinder and carb throat, spin it again with the starter, wipe it all down and put a new plug in the head,....away you go. the key is to get the engine prepped for storage soon after it's last run,....like right away after the last flight. the Marvel will mix with the castor oil and keep the it from hardening and the engine will be ready quickly in the spring. I have used this method since I owned 2stroke motors and never had a single incident when flying weather came in the spring. a quart of Marvel Mystery oil will last many, many winters and it is a good general lube/cleaner to have around for anything all the time.
This routine sounds very similar to what I used to do for my glow engines.