RCU Forums - View Single Post - kingtech turbine rc engine k70g2 fatal problem
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for updating us Barry. I know you guys are dependent on the factory to give us good products and that you guys really work hard to service these for us. Based on my experience, I don't think most folks would complain about your service quality or turn-around times. These products do cost a lot of $s. So there are some folks a turbine failure has a huge impact on.

For the rest of us watching this thread; Being successful in this aspect of the hobby pretty much depends on one's attitude. Ones attitude is a choice. Let me explain.

This "turbine failure" type of thing happens to many manufacturers' products, especially ones that are on the cutting edge of high-performance and technology! . I went thru three P-90RXIs before the manufacturer got them fixed. At the time, I clearly felt they were released to us prematurely. By the end of those P-90 experiences, I had already decided to try another brand, even though in the past, I typically had been very brand loyal. Then, I also watched a friend go thru 3 W-100s before he (and I) gave up on Wren even though Ron's service shop was only a couple hours down the road. I also had two brand new snow-machines that had harmonics occur at 6800 RPM. This would cause the engines to self-destruct. I also had a new truck that could not keep fuel injectors working. Ended up lemmoning it.

The one common thing to my experiences listed here was the products were all what I call "first year production models." I have come to the conclusion that if I do NOT want to be the product tester, never buy a product that is in its first year of production. On the other hand, if I am willing to deal with being the tester, then I will risk buying a first year production model and just deal with any failures. Unless you want to set yourself up for many disappointments, I feel that is a decision you have to make early with jets, . Given that all 7 turbines that I have owned have been back to the shop in their first few hours, I have come to the conclusion that we are the beta testers for all turbine manufacturers. If I was not willing to deal with that, I would be flying exclusively with props. Think about it, … how can a manufacturer test their engines in all the conditions we expose these engine to? If you are not willing to do the testing, … feel free to give me a call. I got a couple nice prop planes I can sell you and I have already tested them, … a lot.

Our club typically has ~ 27 jet guys. Based on what I have seen, we all have experienced some sort of turbine failure. I have either witnessed or help troubleshoot many of these. What is also common to our jet guys is they all seem to, at least outwardly, accept the fact that we are the beta testers. They never seem to be ranting on the INet or even at our gatherings. They frequently change brands and most are willing to own multiple brands at the same time. Guess we keep the good ones and the bad ones just tend to take care of themselves, etc. etc. Point being that; How we respond to a turbine failure is an attitude choice. Good attitudes seem to be catching. So are bad ones. Which one do you want to be viewed with? If you can't deal with maintaining a good attitude, then never buy a first year production model!

So when you are faced with an issue to be fixed, be thankful that the Barrys and Georges and other service guys are there. They to are only dealing with the products the manufacturers send to us for testing and the conditions we expose these products to. If you do not want to take the risks that goes with cutting edge technology and high-performance and the conditions we expose these products to, then you may want to reconsider what sport you really would enjoy.

DISCLAIMER: All this being said MAY not preclude me from initially being a bit POed when the next one dies!