RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will adding weight make my glider fly better in wind?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry but we have had this discussion before and you know that I just don't agree. Having a powered airplane that copes with the wind well has more to do with the setup then wing loading. The subject airplane in this thread is a powered airplane with a pseudo sailplane wing. Wind is nothing more then airspeed increase to an airplane in flight. If your airplane is set up to have different trim settings at different air speeds then yes wind is going to be an issue. Will more weight help the situation? In a bandaid sort of way yes. It will take more wind force to make a change but it will also require larger control inputs to correct. Once an airplane is set up so that the CG, thrust line, incidence control throws, differential etc are all in balance the airplane will handle the wind much better. Adding weight on a powered airplane is nothing more then a coverup to a bad setup. Case in point, on a dual aileron servo setup, how many guys take the time to actually measure the aileron movement and go into the separate channel ATV and adjust them for the exact same deflection? Most times when I help guys out at the field the ATV for both channels are set to the same value which means the ailerons are not moving the same. Then they rarely use the differential feature. This means that when aileron is applied the airplane will not only roll but it will pitch and yaw at the same time. Add in some wind which will require more corrective inputs that are not pure inputs and the airplane is all over the place. The key here is better setup not more weight.