RCU Forums - View Single Post - Huge fan of glow power!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

The cost of batteries have come way down and both battery and charger technology has gotten much better reducing charge times while making charging much safer. Most battery combustion happened while charging.
That guy sounded like he was just giving his opinion.
Not misinformation. If what he said is what you're referring to, I think you're off base. He just said that batteries are ridiculously expensive.
You apparently don't think so, but he does.
I honestly still think batteries are expensive myself as well.
Altough I definitely agree that they have come down in price.
As for me, for just the cost of those two batteries in your airplane, at $128 each, I could buy at least two and a half cases of glow fuel.
That's about a year of flying for me with my small displacement engine glow planes.
That's if I was flying almost every weekend (I wish).

As far as batteries mostly only having combustion issues during charging, they can still combust when not being charged.
Ask Rich Uravitch, who lost his van, planes and equipment, while his van was parked overnight. Nothing was being charged at the time
One of my local R/C clubs won't allow any lipo batteries to be stored anywhere on the premises.
They also had a stored battery go poof and it was not being charged at the time.
I keep hearing about graphene battery technology and how it will make lipos safer to store and be able to be charged much faster without the risk of combustion,or much lower.
I don't know squat about it, and can't find much info on it for R/C usage, but it sounds like just what we need.

Now, I am finished talking about electric planes.
This is a glow forum. Says "Glow" right on it.
I just want to talk about glow stuff.
The only person who has defended, posted pics of, or wants to talk about electric planes is you.
Yes, I shared the fact that I think that electric prop planes are boring and I am entitled to my opinion.
If you're going to continue on about electric crap, or that I'm trying to sway anyone's opinion,
I am just going to ignore it.
But if you want to talk about glow power, great..

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-14-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Misspelling