RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kolibri fuel ramp
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread...

I bought my T35 new from the Turbine Shop (did not know about HAB at the time) about two months ago, everything went pretty smoothly and it arrived about a week after payment. Shortly after I got it I mounted it to my test stand and fired it up. I've never had a propane start turbine so this start process was new to me (I watched every you-tube video I could find on how to start the little T35 prior to my first start). The turbine started right up, I ran it up to full throttle a couple of times and then shut it down with a total run-time of about three minutes. Over the next few weeks I worked on getting the jet ready (Habu32). Last weekend I was finally ready to start the turbine mounted in the jet. I could not get it to ramp beyond beyond the initial propane ignition. After several attempts I disconnected the Kero fuel line to test if the pump was working, it was not. So, I loosened the two screws on front the pump and hooked up a 1.5v battery directly to the pump motor and it started turning. I slowly tightened the screws while the pump motor was turning. I then reconnected the fuel line to the turbine and the pump to the ECU and tried it again, success! The turbine started right up, I ran it up to full throttle a couple of times to make sure everything was working correctly. Next I'll mount the turbine back into the jet and try it again, hoping to get to it this upcoming weekend.
One lesson I learned from this thread that was not obvious in the videos I watched is that you have to be careful not to apply too much propane during the initial ignition sequence. First off, you will get a fairly large fireball, which can't be good inside your jet, and second I'm thinking that if the turbine EGT is too high from the propane the ECU will not start pumping fuel because of the risk of an overtempt? -Tom