RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will adding weight make my glider fly better in wind?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Sure, I can certainly agree with flying the maneuvers more in a manner flown by the full scale aircraft as opposed to the perfect geometry we strive for in IMAC and Pattern. My comparison of scale competition and aerobatic competition was more in the areas of constant ground speed and airspace utilization.
Ok its a motorglider capable of powered or non powered flight. In the wind conditions as a judge I expect to see a demonstration of non powered flight like a straight flight out or a descending circle with the engine off and simulated prop feather. Increasing downward pitch enough to maintain ground speed may not look very scale like and the loss in altitude from the point of Starting Now to Complete isn't going to score all that well. A little bit of ballast might allow a build up of speed and better penetration at a more realistic pitch angle throughout the maneuver.

Coming in for a landing not prototypical for a near vertical landing in wind but ballasted for forward penetration a more prototypical landing and roll out could be achieved.

The op seems to have a better grasp of what needs to be accomplished than you do for all your experience. No more back and forth I've tried to explain it to you slowly but I give up. Going to wait to see how ballasting works out for the op as he seems to have decided to give it a try.

Dennis