RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

I can understand why people would not want to question the 'ability' of Saito to design and produce an engine, and I would be the last one to criticise them, IF they had a presence where we could raise concerns and get answers justifying their methodology. THey dont need to answer to anyone really, but if they printed matter that said "the timing should be set as follows" then we would all know. Similarly, there is no way to contact them directly, as far as I am aware, except through their distribution channels.

I've mentioned a few 'oddities' that they have made before, including the FG-84 and its crank failures, the FG-20 and its carb failures, the FG-60 and its problematic cylinders.....all of them related to gas engines. We need Saito in this hobby, they are some of the nicest looking, nicest sounding engines, and they are little tech marvels, but they dont interac with their customers.....this is a case in point with the timing....

Want to see another example....who here has the Saito collector ring? Its an 'official' part, apparently designed with the utmost care to fit the FG-60. It's beautiful, with brilliant welds, the word SAITO lovingly laser etched on to it....and it does sound good (not quite keleo sound, but still good)...... all good, that is until you fit it, and then try to connect the plug leads. Anyone care to share a pic of theirs?

Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing Saito, I would like someone to answer on an official level, as to what the timing should be. RCexel says it should be X method, and they should know, they make the ignitions and havent changed the programming in years. Saito say...nothing.

I apologise for not being able to update on the engine performance, but at the moment, I only get a few hours a week at the flying field. I have a plane storage, little workshop up there, so dont do all of this at home. I cannot wait to see if this engine runs better in a plane, and am hoping that it does. Whilst I might seem bullish on this, all I really want is to have a great running engine... I have spent HOURS trying to get this thing to work properly, everything by the book, and still it doesnt perform the way others have...if I am wrong, I will raise my hand and apologise for unintentionally leading people down the primrose path.
For those of you who have a great running engine, if mine does gain some performance....and you do this mod, we need to hear from you.

I am going to put the engine in the same plane, with the same prop, same everything....and see if it flies with more authority while keeping the temps where they should be.

Apologies if anyone has been lead astray by my discussion....