RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I finally got back to the F-105 this weekend. I took a couple of weeks to update and install the Jeti radio and CTU in my Sabre XLT and Avanti XXL. I'm very impressed with the CTU on the install, programming, and test runs but have not had a chance to fly it yet.

I made progress on several issues with lots of help during the work break plus I figured out the turbine mount from a suggestion from Jamie Snipes. I do my best CAD (Come Along Design) work while walking around daydreaming, so a couple of weeks didn't hurt.

The turbine needed to be raised 3/4" for alignment so I made blocks from plywood to make the risers.

Layers of aircraft ply laminated with epoxy to make 3/4" thick blocks

Blocks trimmed to size, cut out, drilled and counter sunk for bolts and nylon lock nuts.

Top view

Bottom view with nylon lock nuts counter sunk flush with bottom surface

Turbine dry fit in position, holes will be drilled through the blocks into the mounting rails to fasten turbine in place after the rails are glued in and alignment determined.

Raising the turbine made it more difficult to insert the wing trailing edge mounting bolt. I will have to drill the hole offset to insert the bolt and then level it to fasten the trailing edge of the wing to the fuse. The bolt only provides tension holding so the offset hole will not matter.