RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 12:19 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wetbird
May I be added to your group?
I'm 70 yrs. old, been building & flying kit airplanes since I was 12 yrs old, but in those days, they were U-control. After getting out of the military in 1970, I started building RCs. Just a little about my early years of RC flying & build. In the last 20 yrs, I've been flying GP 60 size J 3 Cubs on floats. My current build is the Sig 1/4 scale J-3 Cub. I'm limited in space for building large RC planes, but I've always wanted to build a 1/4 scale cub. This is when I came to you for a little help when adding a door & window to my already built fuselage.
I did want to install a 5/32 wire as suggested, but install a 1/8 piano wire instead, I wasn't able to drill a 5/32 hole along side the already installed 5/32 cabin wire. So using the 1/8 wire after sanding, I soldered it to the cabin wire. I think this will do the trick, I hope. I have photos to share. I'm so sorry the photos are so big. I did cut a grove along the top for the 1/8 wire. after sanding and installing the wire, I 30 min. epoxy the wire in place, then sheeted over the wire to hide it. When I finished the 1/8 wire reinforcement, it's hard to see the soldered wire.
Thank you for your help, it was greatly appreciated!

I didn't attach photo
of the 1/8 wire just after it was soldered to the 5/32 cabin wire. I used a torch to make sure it got hot enough for the solder to adhere to the wires.

Gerry