RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Great picture C, glad you got it done.

AC, are you running the 13 x 7 or other prop, I was going over my FG 11 yesterday and noticed that it has copper gaskets on the rocker cover screws and a tiny bit bit sealant squeezed out of the crankcase to cylinder joint and the cam cover joint. The glow versions don't seem to get that kind of sealers. It has some really serious compression, when turning with my thumb and forefinger it takes nearly a half minute to leak enough to get it turned. It's a fun engine. I run a CH Ignition unit at 7.4 volts. Adrian has the 7.4 volt option check marked on it.
I will have to check, but I think it was a 12x6 APC.

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Sorry to hear about the stall. I do a LOT of flying doing tight maneuvers at low speeds, just off the ground. That transition issue with gasoline in general plays a large part in my preference for methanol fuel! So important to have that well-tuned, crisp response. I would rather clean oil from a plane than clean up a crashed plane from the field.
How did you like the T Clip? I almost bought one but did not trust the covering job with the black fingers facing forward. I always try to lap the covering edges rearward. Been thinking about buying one anyhow and simply re-covering it.
It took a bit to learn how to take off straight due to it being so short coupled, but once off the ground was a thrill to fly. What I did was use the low rudder rate on takeoff and that cured it. Once off the ground I switched back to high rates and have fun with it. The covering is on very good and did not have any issues with peeling. They use Oracover/Ultracote on it and is very well done.

I had 3 years of flying on it, but had not flown it very much when I crashed it that year. I was so used to the easy stall characteristics of the Something Xtra and recovery that I made the simple mistake of trying to do a Harrier, and instead of the usual drop of nose, it dropped a wing and went into a spin that I could not get out of. By the time the engine was up to full and just starting to pull the plane out, it ran out of sky. Thankfully hit hit wings level and nose first so damage was only to the forward fuse. I have it rebuilt but with a different engine on it now. Still have to open the cowl up a bit and put a needle extension on.

Here it is during break in, was running about 20 minutes at this point

Near the end of break in, still on the same tank of fuel an hour later

Couple years later along with my 1/5th scale SIG Cub

Aftermath of the dumb mistake. In front of those two pieces of wood is a hole from the prop hub that is about an inch and a half deep. It hit and bounced back.