RCU Forums - View Single Post - any interest in an up-roar kit bash & build
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done the "kit bashing" where the plane produced is nothing like it was designed to be, then, like this "up-roar", the changes are small & only favor that which Ive come to like in my models. The plane with the "eyes" on top of the wing was an extra 300 kit that I bashed many years ago into more of a S-Bach 342. Totally reshaping the whole thing was the goal then & I like how it turned out, plus it flys great. I took some photos of the parts I built for this up-roar & laid them on the plans. As you can see, theres not a lot of difference. Balance tabs being the biggest change. Lowering the rudder a bit & increasing the lower section a little, & increasing the elevator half & widing the center section cut out to allow for more rudder deflection. I also increased the wing span by 4 inches. (2" per side) Also widing the ailerons to match the wing span, & thickening them to 4 1/2 " (from 3") (front edge to back edge). I also increased the lenth of the fuselage by 2 1/2 inches inbetween the wings. As mentioned before, Ive built many of these years ago & from how they flew, I would like differences that each had, so in this, Im combining many things. Increasing rudder below the stab helps knife edge with less elevator correction. Wider ailerons have better authority at slower speeds that i like to fly at. I just plain like the rounded looks of the tail feathers. And for many years now, rather than sand a 45 degree bevel to the leading edge of the moving parts, I just glue a peice of triangle stock to the edge after drilling the hole for my hinges & clean up the top & bottom a little with a quick swipe of sandpaper & all done. A lot less mess. In the trailing edge of the wing you can see the extra blocks in place for a better hinge gluing surfaces. And as far as the covering on the bigger airplane, I couldnt deside what to do with it & had told my wife I was frustrated about it. her only coment to me was "I really dont care what you do with it, but just remember, you have to keep your eyes on it" So, with "keeping my eyes on it as the theme, this is what I did with it.

Last edited by MILDBILL-RCU; 01-03-2019 at 12:49 PM.