RCU Forums - View Single Post - Real Flight 8 (RF8)
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adui
I was considering this sim, or the beginnings of an aircraft (build engine plus new radio gear would have been two to three times my budget) to get back into the hobby. I havent flown in ten years. The guy at the hobby shop assured me 20 +/_ minutes of flight time and it would all come back. I was skeptical so let him talk me out of a blade heli (never flew heli's anyhow) and into this simulator.

1. He was right, it took all of three flights and when Im not hot dogging it beyond my previous skill Im flying, take off to landing without problems.
2. This sim, I got the one with the controller since I have no gear at all, is AWESOME!! I will fly it for the next 6 months to a year till I can afford to begin rebuilding my gear and a new SPAD aircraft to fly (Spadstik was my favorite so Ill likely start there; and yes I am from the dark side )
3. I'll likely continue to fly the sim even after i get a real RC aircraft up but this way i can go at it with relative confidence that I can fly a plane like I once did! (chances are if theres a local flyer available Ill have him or her box me on my first flight to be sure Im getting what I think I am out of the sim)

Bottom line: BEST investment of the remainder of my birthday money I could have made!!
A sim is definitely a great investment and I think you will find that it will be useful even after you have real models and are flying relatively frequently. Practicing skills beyond your current level is one thing that makes a sim useful even after you are regularly flying but I find that I also use mine during bad weather and in particular during the winter to keep my muscle memory up.

Congrats on your purchase. Welcome back to the hobby and enjoy!

Jim