RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's Up With the AS3X Phone Program?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to check into this. I'll give the current mobile version a try. I suspect my first question is going to be: How do you connect a AR 9350 to a phone via Bluetooth? Hopefully there will be something out there to explain this on the INet. In the meantime, I upgraded the PC Version yesterday.

Well, ... this AR 9350 was doing its AS3X thing on first power up. ??? It had 0, 50 & 50 gain set in showing on the DX18 and did the AS3X initialization cycle right on first power up. (I have gyro gain set on Switch E & Aux 3)

Also, I have the Elevators on two channels, how do I get the mix to carry the AS3X to the mixed channel? When I did that mix, the AS3X did not go to the mixed channel. I also tried changing Airplane Type, Tail Type to a servo on each Elev and the AS3X did not come to the second surface that way either. ?? I am going to check for Rxer updates and then reprogram the AS3X. See if that fixes it. I also need to check the Ailes as the issue could be there too. I'll check the Ailes and reprogram tomorrow A.M.

As far as the discontinued Spektrum Powerboxs (i.e. AR9210,) I still have a couple of them. They came from HH. Way back then, … I started asking HH Service Techs questions about the AR 9210s and how to set them up as I was seeing the output power unexpectedly changing and they would not set the failsafe as I desired. Shortly after, the AR9210s were discontinued by HH. But, ultimately they are great units and are still in service here.

I had several email exchanges with HH staff about the AR 9210's unexplained output power level changing I was seeing with my first AR 9210. Finally, I got to the right guy at HH and got the questions answered. Bottom Line; The Rxer was working as designed. It is just they were sent out without, IMHO, adequate documentation. There was no address as to how to set the output voltage and mine had changed a couple times during use. It turned out that the power on/off soft switch also controls the power output setting. Occasionally, I was hitting the power toggle sequence and changing the power output. No problem there as I had HV servos. But, I wanted to understand what was going on, etc.. It was working O.K. but there were no instructions to address that feature.

Also, if you recall, you and I went thru some exchanges about Failsafes and Preset Failsafes. It takes a bit of understanding of how to accomplish the preset failsafe differently from the failsafe. The AR 9210 is also a bit finicky re. bind button release timing and the distance away from the Main Unit when binding. Being my first Rxer with a Preset Failsafe to set, I needed some added help. Thank you for that help.

Since the AR 9210s were discontinued, I have several additional Powerboxes, and I have became aware of the Powerbox forum and their quick and detailed response to questions. I also have a ton more experience with PBs. For a newcomer to the product line, they can be a bit complex. With the relatively recent addition of the Spektrum AS3000 Gyro to attach to the new Powersafe Rxers, the Powersafes, IMHO, have become somewhat competitive with the low-end Powerboxes. But, the depth of programming in a Powerbox Competition SRS, for example, greatly enhances the flexibility beyond the current Powersafes, IMHO. Also, PBox's ability to regulate either low or high voltage is a great plus. I like HV servos that run at 5.9 VDC. They last forever, even on a 2s LiPo. If I recall correctly, the Powersafes do NOT regulate the voltage. Also, PBoxes do NOT require a second device to program them vs. Spektrum's forward programming takes a transmitter. How is that done on a DX 18. ???

But, if you do not need all or most of the Powerbox features, the ARs are much more reasonable cost wise . The Powersafes are much simpler to set up, unless you add the AS3000 gyro. But, … Bottom Line: I have never had to send a Powerbox back for a recall. I did have to send a new Powersafe back for the initial recalls. While waiting for a resolution to that situation, I moved to PBoxes with SRS, for any complex aircraft. I have not looked back since. For simpler aircraft, the AS3X Rxers (e.g. AR 9350) are compact, offer great features and are relatively cost effective, … IMHO. As I said before, AS3X Rxers are a great products. I have several in service. I was just looking to get access to the programing via a mobile phone.

Just some thoughts from an end user perspective. Have a great weekend Andy! Thanks for all you do!