RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 AM
slither

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Sorry to hear of your woes! Just when you think you have it figured out... boom! Seems like it's always something. No "egg on your face," though. I have some information that may be of minor comfort.

I called Ray a couple of times as this thread has been developing, to further inquire about the timing concerns being discussed. The last time was about a week and a half ago. Both times he was adamant about the timing being correct on the 60R3. A few days went by, and then I got a call from him, where he announced that he had "egg all over his face!" He said he was taking the measurements off the 84R3 and 90R3, and basing his determination on that. He happened to get a brand-new 60R3 in the shop, and decided to examine it more closely. Viola! He found that the timing is, in fact, off! He said it was preliminary and that he needed to run the numbers with his giant degree wheel before he knew exactly how much deviation exists. I was impressed that he was willing to admit his faux pas. It takes a big man to admit he is wrong, but that is so very important! Ray is looking into making a correctly timed thrust washer for this issue. More on that as it unfolds...

In any event, your engine likely suffered from a design flaw that led to the failure. Perhaps you can take some solace in being vindicated!