RCU Forums - View Single Post - Freewing T-45 90mm Turbine conversion
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
I had a Kolibri T-45 in mine. It flew pretty well. It came in at about 10 lbs with 1 litre of kero. I had to cut away a lot of foam in the center of the fuselage to get the Fiji water bottle fuel tank in but it was right on the CG. You need to make your own engine mount. I saw one on HAB website but I could never get them to respond to anything. You will need to mount the engine as far forward as you can ,don't use the stock edf mount it's way too far rearward. I had 2, 1100 mah A123 batteries for the radio and a 1000 mah 2 cell lipo for the turbine. I put everything as far forward as possible and I still had to add 3/4 ounce of lead under the nose cap to balance it. I don't know what a Kingtech 30 weighs but my Kolibri was 14 oz.
I added JP hobby wheels and brakes to mine to meet AMA rules and the electric retracts would barely retract the gear in flight. These wheels are much heavier than the stock plastic wheels. Maybe if you fly off grass you could eliminate these.

I had trouble with my engine spitting fire out of the front on startup and it caught fire. I had the extinguisher right there and hit it but it had done too much damage for me to deal with fixing it. I used a coat of BVM ceramic paint in the tailpipe area with 1 layer of the ceramic cloth covered with a layer of aluminum tape. This was overkill. I didn't heat or flameproof in front of the motor at all and that's why it burned I had a Tams pipe installed. I also ordered a grumania pipe. The bellmouth is too large in diameter to fit inside the T-45.

I hope this helps you.

Bob Neal
Thanks Bob, this is very helpful. The K30 weights 14.5 oz, so just about the same as the T45, but a lot less thrust. I have a T35 in a Habu and had the same thing happen, fortunately I had put some aluminum tape around the whole turbine compartment so the damage was minimal to the airframe. I did have to replace my wiring harness on the turbine though. Anyway, I got all that sorted and the Habu flies great.
I'm also planning to use electric brakes, I think they are same ones from JP, I got them from FanJetsUSA.com so I will have the same problem with the retracts, may have to look at alternate solutions, but that will add more weight unfortunately. Decisions, decisions...I may have to put a T35 in the this T45

Thanks again for the help! Tom