RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Dively Pitts Project!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it's officially an airplane!!!!

Had it out to the field on Saturday and after an extensive assembly and checking everything two, three times, it was time to maiden the "Big Pitts".

The take-off was less than stellar, as the plane wasn't trimmed out and I didn't want to force it off the ground. Did that with my smaller Pitts and decided quickly not to try that again! Just as I was making the decision to go or no, it started to lift off. Once it was in the air, it only took a little bit of trim to get it to fly hands-off. Easily fly at 30-40% throttle with that G-62 and 22x6-10 Zinger. I don't fly 3D, and with the age of this air frame, I'll fly her like the lady she is, no rough and tumbling for this plane. I've got others I can toss around.

I have a Lanier 50cc Yak that I've flown only a couple of times, so I'm still getting used to the larger, heavier air frames. The Pitts weighs in at 23lbs. During the flight, my thumbs were a little shaky, that's the first time in a long time that I've had that happen. The flight was short (5 min.) and after a couple of rounds of the field, I brought her in for a somewhat respectable landing. Couple of bounces, but it was under power, as I don't know how this airframe will slow down and I don't want to find out how slow is too slow. I'll likely feel better as I get more flights on the plane. So far as the engine, it pulls it around just fine for me. Seems to have a fair reserve of power to pull out, but of course, it's not 3D. I think for me, the G62 is a good choice, it's reliable, solid, and an excellent engine for a first-time gasser guy like myself. I've got a magneto, and I'm still working out the final tune and starting procedure, but it runs good and I don't have an ignition or ignition battery to worry about.

I went through and fixed a few things like a guide wire that came loose and some little, personal things. But, it is officially now a plane! The plane did attract a LOT of attention at the field, especially when it landed. I guess it surprised them that it did. =) Anyways, one of the guys got this photo of it at the field. Doesn't look too bad for an old girl!