RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And I have to agree. Some sources, however, don't get updated and may say none are presently airworthy when several may have been restored. Until I started looking, I thought there was only one B-24 in flying shape, only to learn there are actually three of them. As for B-17s, there are only 39 left in the US, that are known to exist. The latest "recovered" B-17 has been renamed "Swamp Ghost", after being recovered from a swamp in New Guinea and reassembled on Ford Island at Pearl Harbor. The air museum on Ford Island could restore the Swamp Ghost and get it into flying condition as it's actually in fairly good shape since it was "bellied in" due to lack of fuel rather than being shot down. The powers that be have decided to leave it in it's crashed condition and just display it, for the time being anyway. Not so sure I agree with that since a flying B-17 would be much more of an attraction, to me anyway, than a damaged plane sitting on jacks. Then again, there are only 39 B-17s remaining, of which only 10 are in flying condition, 17 are being used for static display with the remaining 12, the Swamp Ghost included, scheduled for or being restored.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-08-2019 at 05:10 AM.