RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hitec Aurora 9 discontinued?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by king bily
Let me start out by saying I'm not associated with Hitec in any way, except that I bought one of their radio sets. I'm just posting about how much I lvoe it and can't get over what a good deal I got, and that I'm surprised not to see more of them around.

I still find it amazing that almost 2 years after I bought it you can still get this deal at this price... this is in Aus. dollars so the numbers are higher than in the USA. Middle of the 3rd row of this page:
https://www.modelflight.com.au/catal...SAAEgIrUfD_BwE

That's the same deal i got, only it was from a different supplier who has now closed down. Mine was $10 cheaper at the time. So for $AUD 499 it's the Aurora 9X (not the plain 9, the 9X is better), Optima 9 rx with telemetry, 4 servos (Hs-5484HB), HD switch harness with a charging point, Tx battery with a basic wall charger, a crappy plastic cage for 4 rechargeable AA rechargeables for the Rx (I wouldn't use it, but it's handy for charging my TV remote etc) and various hardware. The same pack without servos is $50 less... or look at it this way, add 4 reasonable servos for $50. Right now one AUD is worth 78c US, so the package I got would be about $US 390. I still think that's a great deal for all that stuff. The Tx alone is $399 AUD, and the Optima 9 I think is almost $100 these days (for a while it was actually cheaper than the 7 channel).

I've posted before how much I like this radio and I know others who know what they're talking about (eg. hobby store staff) say it's definitely under-rated. So easy to use, and I know some people regard it as a Korean toy but really it's good stuff. They certainly have made a reputation for a solid RF link, I've never seen the slightest hiccup in mine. I've heard people with expensive Futaba and JR lose binding sometimes or lose a model because of an interruption, but there are no stories I can find like that of this equipment. It's very rich in feautres and to get the same in another brand, costs more.

I knew a guy from Canada and another in the US who found it cheaper to buy that deal and pay shipping from Australia than to buy it locally to them. Maybe it's changed by now but that's still a good deal. When I decided I was getting into RC and needed a radio, I shopped around and was looking for an all-in-one kit like I remembered from the 80's, with Tx, Rx, servos, battery, charger, the works. There aren't so many these days and the only ones locally were all Hitec, that's what got me interested in the brand. Some people of course won't want this type of servo but for me, considering my position in the hobby and the fact that it only added a small cost to get 4 of them, it was just what I wanted. I use those servos all the time now and they have never given me the slightest problem, and neither has any of the rest of the set.
Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
When I was looking for a radio at the time most of the other beginners I knew were buying Spektrum. I don't know Spektrum that well, I gather the DX6 and DX6i are quite different, and I think there's a 6E (is that the cheaper one?). They're supposed to be a good deal at that price point and they're certainly popular, but frankly I wasn't into it. I've had lessons with them on club trainers, and I nkow I'm spoiled by my further up-market Tx but I didn't like the feel - hollow, flimsy and light. To be fair I also found the cheaper Hitecs that way too. I love mine but I think I'd really only consider the Aurora 9 or 9X (and definitely the 9X over the 9, the 9's getting old anyway). If I'd got a DX6* I'd also have to get servos and everything else. I see one hobby store does a 6E and some sort of basic Rx for $AU 269, you could get cheap servos and have a worthwhile set for $300 or so for your trainer or whatever. But I would have only wanted to upgrade from that radio soon as possible and I'm much happier with what I've got, I won't want an upgrade for years to come.

It's extremely rich in features and I have to say, the interface is outstanding. I've used some expensive Futaba and JR or at least had a good look at them on the ground, and I wouldn't know where to start. I've had instructors who've never seen a Hitec before go to set up dual rates, expo or whatver, including programming a whole new model program, and just go and do it first time without asking me how to do anything or needing a manual, it's that simple to use. And it's not simple because it's basic, it's just a really well designed interface. It has many, many great features, all the curve points that other stuff has, lots of switches, sliders, virtual trims, all of that. Possibly there are other radios that have more or better of this or that but I challenge anyone to find them *for that price*. The closest equivalent I know of might be the Spektrum DX9, I've never seen the interface or had a chance to use one though there are a few at the club. But the Tx alone costs 20% more than my entire set with Tx, Rx, servos and everything else. I'm not aware of any programming or operating features it has that are better than the A9X.

It's not perfect, of course, and I have a couple of particular disappointments with it. First, just to get a firmware maintenance update, you have to buy separate hardware and go through a bit of effort, and it requires Windows specifically to do it, that's a problem. In this day and age why can it not have a mini-USB or something on it, there are many reasons that would be good to have. It also doesn't have a memory card slot. I've heard some people say it should have a nice hi-res colour screen like some Futabas but honestly I find those very hard to read in the sun, the LCD on mine is nice and clear in all conditions. The touch-screen interface is just infinitely easier to use, on top of that, than any combination of buttons or dials or whatever. No menuing system can ever rival directly hitting each function... like analogue mixing consoles for music. Sure, they're old, but that is definitely the superior interface. One control per function, and the A9X, every function has its own icon you can touch direct. Perfect.

If I bought Spektrum I'd still need to get servos and Rx, and here I am with a radio i really like. I guess I more than made the point that I like using it but the reason I bought it was value, I'd have had to live with a bad interface to get that combination of hardware and features (meaning the servos, Rx etc) due to budget, but it turns out to be a radio I like a great deal. I'm just surprised not to see many more of them around because it's such a good deal, but people are paying more for separate Tx, Rx, sevos and battery and ending up with basic gear they just have to upgrade. I suppose people don't know about the great value deals you can get on them here. I've seen people spend much more on buying separate stuff and still end up with a radio they'd have to trade in to get the features I've always had, cheaper, from the start. OK I made the point... I'm just happy to have what I've got.
My Hitec Aurora 9X, still a great deal
Agreed with everything you said!