RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-51 Mustang Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

#24 Leroy Gardner, Rest In Peace - I’m sorry to report he passed away last month. I had the privilege of owning and flying his pride and joy TF GS Kit Built P-51D. It was his first large warbird build with no previous experience but lots of research. He did an incredible job and he had asked me if I would pilot the maiden for him because he wanted to work up to learning how to fly warbirds. Everyone in the club with some experience told him he was reaching way beyond his level both in building and flying. He researched the kit, the flaws, the fixes, and the materials to finish and paint it. Plus, because he was a craftsman, he added a cool engine hatch and cooling splitter in the cowl. Leroy fully documented the build and made a binder of the various stages of the build. That binder was the main reason why I bought the plane because he clearly built it right. I was very impressed to say the least.
He offered the plane to me after some time as he was finishing it up. For some reason he decided to sell it but in hind sight I wonder if he knew he wouldn’t have enough time to learn to fly it and figured it would be better to let someone else enjoy it.
It was a gorgeous Mustang and I flew it for one season and fully enjoyed it. I left it mostly the way he built it but improved a couple servos, elevator control rods, added a two stage spring set to the Robostruts, and replaced the plastic Dubro wheels with Aerotec aluminum scale wheels.
Leroy came to the field to watch the first flights of the plane he built. He was a little emotional, excited and very proud to see it go. He thanked me for taking care of it and flying it like it was supposed to be flown, like a war bird.

I regret I sold the plane to my friend who wanted to fly it in the scale masters qualifying round the next season. I only sold it because he was going to compete in the scale event and I could tell he could handle the plane as we had flown warbirds together so it felt ok. He loved the plane too and practiced a lot to perfect his routine for the contest coming up. One day entered a split S maneuver lost control and destroyed the plane. He was so upset. I was upset too but what can you say right?
I kept the tail section not only because of how Leroy relocated the stab to the proper location but also because the finish is very nice. I’ll pattern the update of the TF GS ARF to Leroy’s tail section later on.

Thats the story of Leroy Gardner’s P-51D Mustang. I’m happy that I had the honor of presenting him with flying his creation so he could have the satisfaction and experience. I’m sorry, Leroy, that I let it out of my hands, that will bother me forever, but I will always remember you and your plane.