RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kenny Kong Abrams tracks?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Abrams Kenny Kong Tracks

For the Tamiya Abrams I stayed with the kit tracks as I did not want to get into a build
struggle with modifying the model's hull and maybe upgrading the idler adjusters to run
Kenny Kong Abrams metal tracks.

HL Abrams with stock tracks, runs fine.

Kenny Kong metal Leo 1 tracks and Henntech Idlers in a seriously braced hull.
The after market idler setup needed simple modification to hold the heavy metal track
adjustment in place.

RC Leo 1 with Kenny Kong metal tracks, the after market idlers did not work until modified!

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
I run DKLM Abrams tracks on two of my Abrams and Leopard 2. I do not have issues with the short "horns" causing de-tracking issues and I also run mine much harder and faster than most folks. Now I will say I run all metal suspension, road wheels, sprockets with retaining rings and drive axle bearing supports as well. These play a big part along with having the tracks tensioned correctly in reducing any issue of de-tracking.

Ok, all that said there is another option that you can look at besides the Kenny Kong tracks. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks work on the Abrams just as the Abrams tracks work on the Leopard 2. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks have much longer horns similar in length to those found on the Tamiya Abrams track.

Since none of the tracks on the market are really accurate, why not use the super tough and well proven DKLM Leopard 2 tracks as these will get you the longer horns and proven toughness at far less cost ~$100 delivered.

Just my .02
Agree with the 2 cents

Go with DKLM tracks or run the stock HL Abrams tracks, which I have had no issues with.

The Kenny Kong metal tracks are very "Heavy" (to heavy for the HL Abrams). I have used them on several models, but only after metal hull bracing plus all the running gear modifications that Fsttanks describes.

Still the remaining weak link will be the idler adjusters. Even using the best of the best available after market idler adjusters, the heavy weight Kenny Hong metal tracks will over power them and the track(s) will come loose and be thrown. Whatever your idler solution fix, it will require further modification to hold the heavy KK metal tracks in place.

Think you'll have more rc tank fun and success with either stock or DKLM tracks for the model type your planning on building.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 02-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.