RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs
Old 02-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Not sure, most AMA members that fly at club sites do so for competitive events and for the social aspect of the hobby. The insurance is just an added bonus. I consider myself a typical AMA member and if these aspects of the hobby were to go away for whatever reason I would most likely find a new hobby. I do realize that the hobby is winding down, it has been for decades. I just can’t see the AMA as being the only reason.
Maybe in the clubs you fly at but I'd be willing to bet that most don't fly for competitive reasons but, rather, just for the fun of flying. I build boats and planes because I like to build. I race boats, not so much for the competition as much as for the fun of running in a competitive environment. Back in 2014, I went to a race where my boat showed that it had serious handling issues that prevented me from trying to really compete with the others that were there just to try and win. I qualified for the second consolation heat where I finished dead last. Did I care that I was last? NO, I DIDN'T. I was there for the fun of the event, not to show how fast my boat was or that I had something to prove. I finished my heats, earned some points and took my boat home in one piece. To me, that was a successful day.