RCU Forums - View Single Post - Resurrecting a Great Plans 1/3 Scale Pitts Special ARF
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Resurrecting a Great Plans 1/3 Scale Pitts Special ARF

A friend received a Great Planes "1/3 Scale" (in reality it is more like 1/3.5) Pitts Special and asked if I would like to assist in resurrecting it to flying condition, which here in Australia will require it to pass a Heavy Model Inspection prior to be allowed to be flown, being over 7kg in weight.
The full history of this aeroplane is unknown. It was received with a 50cc CRRC-Pro engine, which is a very old petrol engine.

I received the fuselage only at this stage. It was immediately noted that at the very least it had a landing which damaged the landing gear, as is obvious by the crude repair.
I went ahead and assessed the required work by removing some of the covering where I suspected to find damage.

Also in the photos below you can see a square hardwood "fix" that was done to the former where the wing saddle is, a hole in the horizontal stabiliser and covering held by clear tape all the way to the back of the aeroplane.

Last edited by erans; 02-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.