RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA requiring outside markings now
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
The ama is far from perfect but the clowns at the FAA are far worse.

I also sat in meetings with the guy responsible for drones in our area and I tried to educate him on what I do on the weekends and he never knew RC jets exsisted.

The best thing we can do is stay off the negative radar and educate along with promote what we do. Don’t be the ***** at the club that does not help the new guys and do things for the young ones. That will kill the hobby.
I had a great experience with our city police officers one flying day this month. I was flying my Viper. Our field is a city park along side a 4 lane parkway. I was doing my normal thing and didn’t notice the squad car driving by on the parkway. I went speeding by them (road speed limit is 45) and again on the way back. My spotter noticed them when they abruptly turn around and headed towards the park’s entrance. We all thought; O boy! ****s about to hit the fan. I was getting nervous. They didn’t park near me, and more in the center of the field. The two women officers got out of their squad suv, and asked where was the jet that was flying, and were directed towards me. As they started heading my way, of course all eyes were on the situation. I was on my last flight of the day, so defueling and getting ready to take the wings off. Everyone was quiet as the officers came up to the fence. They didn’t start the conversation and were attentively looking at the jet and what I was doing. I acknowledged their presence and started a conversation with them. The conversation began as of great interest in wanting to learn about rc and jets. Not in a serious questioning mode of an officer, but rather a citizen interested in the hobby. One of them had stopped before and knew about flying field, but the other officer didn’t know rc jets existed. Since they were there due to learning and interest, the conversation was telling them about the radios, where they are made, what kind of fuel. Both were surprised about using jet fuel. I explained that it was just more refined than diesel with more additives, even for fire suppression. I had them come around the fence to show and explain the engine and different systems of the jet. Both got right down on the on the ground to see the engine and components. They loved it! I even put the canopy back on and moved the jet out on the ramp for pictures with them. I took several pictures of both of them with each ones’ personal phones. I now wished that I thought to take one with my phone. Turned out to be a better experience than expecting when they pulled into the park, the officers left happy and thankful for the time and pictures. I invited them to our Gathering of the Giants in March. One is bringing her grandkids for sure. They never asked my name, anything about FAA registration, AMA, or any other legal issues. Being open and non defensive towards any officers will usually be a better experience than expected.