RCU Forums - View Single Post - Demon Cortex Setup
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 11:22 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is where I am at on this Cortex gyro currently. I have it installed my old foamy T-28 (the little one). I have it working correctly on the bench. In other words the controls all respond in opposition to a bank or nose low, nose high, and yaw.
I have it on a three postion switch on my TX. Center is off (solid red light) Up is hold mode (solid green light) down is solid yellow light, normal mode. I tried flying it a week or so ago and didn't feel like it was working in flight as I thought it should. I put airplane in a shallow bank (20 degrees or so) center the stick and expected the plane to level itself from both bank and nose down pitch due to loss of lift when banked. Instead it just held that attitude. It finally dawned on me this morning that I might have thought I was in normal flight mode when I was infact on HOLD mode. I got the instructions out and reread and sure enough that was exactly what was happening. I made the assumption that solid green light would be the "Normal" flight mode for an airplane but it is in fact the hold mode. The solid amber or yellow light indicates normal flight mode.
So armed with that I went back out to fly a short while ago. I put airplane in a left bank, centered the stick and it smoothly and somewhat slowly leveled the wings and nose.......just the way I thought it should. I did that again except pitched nose only way up and it returned to level flight. Nose down same thing. So far so good.

Then I tried a right bank and it did NOT return to level flight but rather just stayed in right wing low and nose low. Mind you it is still in normal mode at this point, 3 postion switch in low position which is normal mode. It is still responding correctly on the bench but it does appear to be way more sensitive when banked left vs to the right. It seems that it responds with more aileron throw or travel when banked left vs right and it seems like it might be slower to center the control surfaces when banked left vs right. But it is hard to say for sure just by watching with the naked eye vs seeing how it reacts in flight. What I know for sure is that it was not correctly (leveling the wings when bank right in flight). I tried increasing the sensitivity some but was not able to make another flight because the battery was to low to fly. I have it recharged and will go try again. with more control gain . The ailerons are on a "Y"" connector. could this be why ? Maybe I am only turning up the travel/sensitivity/gain in one direction ?

I turned up the gain way up , I don't think the y connection is a factor. With full gain I can see lots of control movement in both directions on all controls.

Last edited by turnnburn; 03-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.