RCU Forums - View Single Post - Toystore Replacement - Looking for a step up
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by txczshooter
So now I'm torn. I've got two competing hobby shops in town. Both carry Traxxas and both carry one of Horizon's entry grade. Shop A has ECX and says that the Helion Conquest line has issues so they don't cary. Shop B pushes the Helion stuff and says they don't carry ECX because their stuff has issues. I was looking into the Ruckus 1/10 and also the Conquest ST as alternatives to Traxxas. I was also looking at the LOSI 22S 2wd SCT and the Arrma Granite 4x4 and Senton 4x4. Granted, these are apples and oranges in terms of drive-train and style. These are all within reason of my budget, but the minute I think I've got it figured out, I'll read some review that talks about how it's garbage, even the Losi. Don't get me wrong, I realize the price point of these RTR trucks, I know stuff will break. I have local parts support for all of these brands. Does it just come down to what I like best in this realm of $220 or less?
Yes. What you got going for you is the two hobby shops carrying parts for for all the brands you have listed. Bonus!

I would first recommend deciding on what style/platform you like best i.e., short course trucks, monster trucks, buggy, or stadium trucks. Start there, and then decide whether or not you want 4wd, because now you have upped the ante with "in this realm of $220 or less". I don't think there is a terrible RC from any of the brands you listed. Every RC has it's share of little issues I think. The problem comes when a person gets bored with so-so speed and then dumps too much power into the RC...finding out they need to upgrade something else to keep up with the power plant.