RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where Have All The Kits Gone ?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I still enjoy building very much but don't as much as I once did. Mostly because I moved and retired (events not related) a few years back and no longer have access to a full mechanical shop or a place where I can paint easily. When I paint now I use a pop up paint booth set up in the back yard. Not overly convenient so just the effort limits what and when I can paint. Lack of a mechanical shop limits my engine and metal fabrication to what I can do with simple tools. It sucks when you have the ability but not the facilities to do things. As long as I have a toaster oven, freezer and small press I can still do most engine work though!

My main limitation on my building is simply the cost! Just collecting all the parts, pieces and materials for a build project costs a fortune these days. ARF alternatives are very attractive alternative in many cases when only cost is considered. I've had build projects where just the cost of paint, covering and other finish materials cost as much as a similar ARF.

I fly mostly at a friends field but civilization is getting closer so I see the old handwriting on the wall .... that site's time is limited. I hope progress holds off enough years that I will no longer care or I reach room temperature. Overall I have a good attitude about the hobby and try not to worry about the things I have no power to change.