RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding differentials
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Question regarding differentials

Hello all. I don't post here much as I over on the RC tank/ military RC forum most of the time so if this out of place point me in the right direction.

I've a project, 1/10 scale truck project, for which I need to build the two rear axles for. I already have machined castings for the axle bodies and what I'm
looking for are adaptable differential gear units that will hold up to this very heavy model. I do my own fairly precise machining so if I must I will build
carriers an all but I was hoping to find something I might adapt. The 'ring' gear will be about 44-46mm in diameter and I want it to be a spiral cut gear.
The remaining gears are to be steel.

I believe 1/8 scale diff units seem more appropriate but I have concerns. I have several example of off the shelf diff units I purchased some years back
and the output shafts to the wheels do not run on bearings of any kind but rely on a lubricated aluminum - steel interface. I feel uncomfortable with that.

My question boils down to this then: are there differential made that use either bronze or ball/ roller bearings on the gear carrier for the output shafts
to ride on?

Thanks for taking the time..

Jerry