RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Four-Star 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 05:55 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Part One - How To Install Robart Hinge Points

Don't be intimidated by using these type of hinges on your project. It's easier than you think, you can do it!!!

I first start the process by marking the exact locations of the hinges from the plans to the TE of the wing. Notice that I have first placed blue painters tape on the wing.

The aileron is taped against the TE and the hinge marks are also transferred to the top of the aileron.

There are a total of six hinges per aileron. Note the excess aileron extending beyond the wing panel. I will trim this off after the hinging process is completed.

I keep all, or most of what I need to make hinges in a small kit that I assembled. This saves me time having to look for what I need!

Divide the thickness of the TE of the wing and mark the exact spot of where to drill. I'm using the small scribe tool that is usually found on your square...that is if you haven't already lost it!

I like to use the hinge drill jig made by Robart. I find that using an awl to locate the indentation that I had previously made is the best way to locate the jig in the exact position.

Since I'm using 1/8" hinges I'm using a sharp 1/8" drill bit. I found at my local hardware store these depth stops for different size drill bits. I have it adjusted to the depth that I want.

This is what is should look like after drilling (step #1) is done.

In order for your hinges to fit properly, you will have to accommodate for the three parts of the hinge. Step #1 is the the through hole using a 1/8" bit. Step #2 is to taper the hole to fit the tapered part of the hinge. I use a tapered grinding stone bit on my Dremel tool for this. Step #3 is to enlarge to top of the hole using a different stone bit to accommodate the knuckle of the hinge. (I will take pics of these stone bits and post in Part #2 of hinging.)

This is what it now should look like after doing all three steps.

Each hinge is fitting perfectly.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-25-2019 at 04:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wully (12-21-2021)