RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Four-Star 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 11:39 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Part Two - How To Install Robart Hinge Points

The pencil pointing to the LE of the aileron shows that it's beveled at 45 degrees.

When drilling the 1/8" hinge holes in the aileron, it's to your benefit not to bevel the LE of the aileron. Leave it square, and get the drilling done first. The jig will make better contact with a top flat increasing your chances for a perfectly placed hole.

Using the drill jig on flat stock is very easy compared to the tapered TE of the wing.

This is the cordless drill that I use. The smaller and lighter the drill, the better control you'll have. You definitely don't want to be using an electric drill here as the cord will get in your way!

Step #1 completed.

These are the two tapered grinding stone attachments for my Dremel that I use for steps 2-3. (The stone attachment that is chucked into the Dremel will perform step #3.)

Once drilled, the 2nd step of fitting the hinge into the aileron side is performed as done on the TE of the wing. (Step #3 will be done after the bevel is made.) If you measured everything precisely there should be no surprises with the fitment.

Once pressed together they should mate together seamlessly.

...and they do.

With the aileron now locked in place with the wing I can now trim off the excess aileron stock.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-25-2019 at 04:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wully (12-21-2021)