RCU Forums - View Single Post - PowerBox Competition w/Sparks Switch
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 11:09 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerBox Competition w/Sparks Switch

Hey guys...quick question.

I am in the middle of putting together an AJ Raven w/DA70 and I am using the PowerBox Competition. I went with the competition model over the Professional because it gives the mah used out of the batteries on the display and that gives me another data point and safety margin in managing the A123’s.

I have dual A123 batteries from NoBs going into the PB, and each has a separate three wire charge lead, in addition to the 14AWG main power feed with deans connector.

I would like to use a PB Sparks switch (instead of the BEC that I have used in the past) to run my ignition except I don’t want to carry a third battery.

Since the PB has some kind of battery balancing algorithm to bring both batteries down together, I’m wondering if I can use the three wire charge lead (eliminating the balance wire in the process) and plug that into the Sparks switch to power the ignition. So, one battery would be doing dual duty by supplying power to the servos and to the ignition while the other battery would be powering only the servos. At that point, I would be relying on the PB balance algorithm to monitor things...

What do you think, can I rig things this way?

Im not so sure how the PB will react. As it tries to pull more from the non-ignition battery, my fear is it will interrupt the ignition voltage as the sparks switch would be wired “around” the PB.

Did I explain that correctly?

Tom