RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM
vogelm1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evlknevl
Hey guys. I have a CG Ultimate.90-1.20 ARF. I built it 20+ years ago when I wasn’t the best pilot (I’m still not lol). I went overboard and spent too much making it the pride of my hanger. Coreless servos, pull pull rudder, and the real wallet crusher a O.S. Gemini 1.60. I have/had so much money into 1 plane for a 21 yr old I was afraid to fly it.

The day of its maiden I only got 2 flights out of it before it went deadstick too close to the ground to blead off speed or go around. I was forced to skim it down the runway and finally nose the prop into the ground to stop before hitting a parked vehicle beyond the runway. Lucky there was no damage but the carb was full of dirt so that was the end of flying that day. The carb was cleaned and engine tested. All was well but it didn’t fly again for 20 years. I finally pulled it down from the rafters, freed up the engine, replaced the FM receiver for 2.4ghz installed new batteries and a glow driver and sent her up. She flew great but needed a decent amount of trim. I decided to adjust the clevises instead of adjusting the sub trims and broke a 20 yr old plastic clevis. Time to replace all of them before it’s next flight. What other upgrades should I consider to improve on an already great plane.

I will I’ll try to go back and read the whole thread but that’s A LOT of reading.

Only a few landings 4 to be exact, and the gear mount was coming loose. One more landing would have probably cause he gear to rip off. I’m sure skimming across the ground at high speed the day of its maiden didn’t help but it wasn’t a hard impact. The last 2 from a few weeks ago were smooth as can be. But the plane is heavy with the motor. The gear actually spreads out as you set the plane down by hand.

BTW it has unlimited vertical at 1/2 throttle lol.
Is the landing gear on ARF version also wire like the kit? If so, you may want to consider replacing with a carbon fiber gear - it's much lighter and stiffer, which should alleviate the sagging you have now. Graph Tech makes one that fits perfect and it's part number #114. It's made for an Aeroworks Yak or Extra, but has the same dimensions as needed for the Ultimate.