RCU Forums - View Single Post - Taigen JS-2 initial impressions
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
So after having a chance to play with it a bit, I have to say this thing is a real little beast. The drive train is very smooth. It runs so well that if you release the stick from full speed it will coast for at least it's own length. I need to add spatter shields and a bit of grease, but the ball bearing gearboxes aren't too bad for noise level, and the engine sounds easily drown out any gear whine. The metal lower is quite stout and the individual roadwheels travel smoothly up and down. All together the suspension works great, and the tracks seem of high quality as well. As for the upper hull, it seems a bit on the flimsy side and I worry about longevity with the metal turret. If there were a plastic turret option I think I'd go for it. I know everybody loves metal, but you can't tell the difference once it's properly painted, and the reduction in stress on the upper is well worth it for me. I've already converted a couple of my tigers back to plastic turrets and I'm glad I did.

I can't say I'm crazy about the clear machine gun barrels, but it's a simple project to fix, and those are the kinds of mods that can be fun. I'll have to do more research and see what I can come up with for an MG upgrade, at least to the bow gun. These little bits were in the accessory pack, any ideas where they go? I couldn't find reference to anything similar in the instructions. The hooks are metal and the other two pieces are green plastic, so I imagine they go on the deck somewhere, or maybe the turret?

Attachment 2263981
Totally agree with the need for a plastic turret but then again a plastic turret may not be able to handle that massive metal gun barrel without some type of counterweight added to the turret rear to keep the turret properly balanced.

Those metal hooks are used to clip the tow cables to the top rear of the hull.