RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help on powering 39” 1/192 LPH IWO JIMA class
Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Griff murphey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on powering 39” 1/192 LPH IWO JIMA class

I started this model 15 years ago and mothballed it 85 pct complete. It’s a 39” long fiberglass hull. The catwalks radars railings flight deck safety nets antennas etc are all hand soldered brass. I’m turning 70 next month and one of my daughters says I better finish it, I was a Navy dentist, 1st Bn 4th Marines’ Dental Officer and in the Cambodia and Vietnam evacuations. Served on LPH-3 Okinawa and LPH-11. One thing that interests me about finishing it is that I found out there are decals I can use from Floating Drydock. I think it’s pretty good, I went with soldered brass detais so it would be durable as a pond model. I have a home made prop and shaft installed, these were single screw. I need suggestions for a receiver/esc, motor, etc. I have a Spektrum DX6i I use with my rc electric park flyer planes. Suggestions?

Picked up 3500 Vietnamese aboard an LKA, USS Durham, later we were on Oki boat was kind of a rust bucket, went to Hong Kong on her, LPH-11 New Orleans was the next to last IWO JIMA it was very clean and took us to Singapore. I think I will finish mine as New Orleans. Both saw service sending combat marines ashore in Vietnam and New Orleans was an astronaut recovery ship.

Last edited by Griff murphey; 04-20-2019 at 01:42 PM.