RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I heard somewherethat there were more B24 Liberators in the US Army 8th Airforce than there were B17s but I don't know whether it's true. If it is true, I find it curious that all of the films, Mississippi Belle, Twelve O'Clock High etc feature the B17!

The B24 was the preferred anti-submarine aircraft and there is an interesting story about a B24 which flew with 200 Squadron RAF Coastal Command. On 11th August 1943, out in the North Atlantic, this aeroplane, piloted by Lloyd Trigg, a New Zealander, attacked the German submarine U468 which was on the surface at the time. The Germans returned fire and the Liberator burst into flames but Trigg continued to press his attack depite taking further hits, including hits in the bomb bay once the bomb doors were open. His bombs fell on and around the U Boat which caused it to sink twenty minutes later but his aircraft crashed into the sea. There were no survivors. Seven of the submarine's crew survived and were picked up by a British ship. Oberleutnant Schamong commented on the pilot's bravery and Trigg was awarded a post-humous Victoria Cross, Great Britain's highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy, the equivalent of the American Medal of Honor. These are not handied out like sweeties!

His is the only Victoria Cross ever awarded solely on the evidence of the enemy.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.