RCU Forums - View Single Post - One of My Oldest Planes Crashed Today.
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
Had another crash with this plane . Got a new radio so I decided to use the plane as a test unit for a few flights . This was going to be the last test session. The engine speed went down a couple of times then back up. Then all of a sudden all control was lost and down she went. I thought oh no my new radio is bad. After checking it over I found the end of the receiver antenna was broke off and laying in the bottom of the fuse. I hope that's all it was.

Tried to add photos but it's not working . Damage wasn't to bad . The ground is a little soft from all the rain. It took a couple day to fix it. Now waiting for better weather to test again.
By end of antenna are we talking 2.4? and if so, how much/long is the 'End' that came off?

2.4 can be intolerant of changing antenna lengths while 72 MhZ not so much. You can easily lop 6 inches off a 72 system and never see the difference. While a 2.4 would suffer with 1 inch.

Now I know someone will come on and claim their brand XYZ radio has flown without an antenna. Once! And considering all the variables the odd ball thing can happen. Once!

But who here is willing to offer a model as guinea pig to test the theory?