RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cdrc1
Use Sullivan filters on all my planes and on field box fuel bottle. Have replaced the glow plug at least once and using a 4-stroke plug as recommended by Saito. The prop is a 14x7. Perry pump is a VP-30 regulating pump. Will try leaning the low side some more but have tried that once and it did pop and threw the spinner/prop.

cdrc1,
with the 14X7 you are running your Saito 100 in a bit higher RPM range, well there are 3 things to say about that,
A) being a 4St your engine loves to be loaded more than a 2St would, and
B) Saito's are Camed to be loaded more than other brand 4St,
C) a correctly loaded engine is easier to tune, so you may wish to try a 14X8 prop to get your RPM down a bit,

I have seen engines that ran very badly because they were simply loaded incorrectly for the Plug and Fuel that was used in them, and a simple prop change to a larger prop fixed the problem in an instant.
1) engine 1 was a 160 4St with a 13X4 prop on it, the engine would stall as the pilot would come off the throttle to land or as accelerating to lift off, I sold the guy a 15X8 and his problem went away instantly, yet he could have gone to a 16X6 or 8 but no one had one,,
2) this engine was a .61 2St, it had a super light wood 9X4 prop on it, the tow guys worked 3 hours on it and it would stall every time (every time) when the wheels left the ground, I told the guy to put a APC 12X6 on it and he did, problem gone instantly,,

both of these^ engines could have been fixed in a different way, but it was not acceptable to their flying styles, and that was if, if they added a much colder plug and ran fuel with maybe 40% Nitro or higher.

Jim