RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Kaos from Lazerworks Short Kit.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Too bad you are limited to 60 2 strokes. Engines like the OS 65 and 75 are the same physical size as the 60 and turn a much larger prop. They really wake up the older pattern planes. Any of the OS pattern engines run quite well though. Which version of the Fox do you have. Some were real dogs and some ran quite well. Duke made at least 3 different Eagle 60s over the years and there were several refinements of each version.
The engine limitation isn't too bad. I think the idea is to keep the focus on pilot skill. The SPA also allows up to a .91 four stroke or equivalent electric. I went to a contest in Newark, Tx recently and saw a few with four strokes. There were a lot of O.S engines there and even a Dubb Jett .60. Tuned pipes aren't allowed but the Jett and a few others had the "tuned mufflers" that came stock with some of these engines. The expert division was won by one of our local pilots using a brushless electric motor. The Fox engine I am using has a little bit of an interesting story. Close on to a decade ago a large box of loose motors showed up in a hobby shop in the Dallas metroplex. They were obviously Fox engines but they had all of the identifying marks ground off. As I recall it was mostly a mixture of .60's and .45's but there were a few other odds and ends. I bought three .60's and one .45. I wish I could have bought more but that was what I could afford. I never found out how they ended up at the shop but the story was that there had been a malfunction in the sprinkler system at the Fox factory and the engines on the line got wet and were pulled off the line. Two of the .60's had water damage to the bearings but I still got four never started engines for $100. The one undamaged .60 has been broken in and runs just fine. I can get replacement bearings for the other two .60's but just haven't needed the engines yet. Given that aside from the water exposure, these were as new engines I am guessing they must be late production examples.