RCU Forums - View Single Post - Autoland
Thread: Autoland
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Autoland

Excuse me for thinking loud here.
I wonder how far away a true autolanding system RC aircrafts is. I know that there is a foamie on sale with some kind of autolanding capability but that is for a specific model that is both light and inexpensive. Now that we have GPS and gyros and lots of computer power in our RC systems I think that maybe it should be possible to create such a function in an autopilot device.
Maybe it could be built around a saved GPS file from an earlier good landing or maybe it could be constructed at your desktop by means of aeroplane parameters and Google maps or a combination of those?
I understand that some of you would cry out loud and argue that such a system would take away the meaning and joy of flying yourself but that wouldn’t be the case if it was selectable. Instead it would be a great help to all of us who are getting older and don’t want to stop flying jets just because our physical capabilities are slowing down a bit.What do you think?
Will we see an autolanding function for RC aeroplanes in the future and do we want it?

Jannica

Sweden

Last edited by Jannica; 05-21-2019 at 11:19 PM.