RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brison 5.8 problems
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 AM
deason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Regarding how the ignition retards for start up, as you flip the prop briskly during start, the ignition senses the speed of rotation as the magnet passes under the sensor. If turned fast enough, the ignition will retard the spark. If turned very slowly, the spark will not retard. Some people get a kick back when using a limp wristed flip because there is not enough rotation speed to create the retard. These ignitions should be called auto retard rather than auto advance as they can never advance the timing beyond the preset static timing. Some time in the past they were called auto advance and it stuck with them.

Some years ago, I bought a used Brison 2.4 that would pop and run a bit but not well. I could never find a definite problem why that engine would not run right until I disassembled it. I found that both of the main crank bearings had the seals blown out causing a severe leak that suppressed the crankcase compression / bypass. No trace of this could be seen w/o removing the crank. When you rotate the engine, do you hear the normal bypass airflow through the cylinder intake ports? Do you have a muffler in place? Some of these old chainsaw based engines won't run well at all w/o some form of muffler or pipe in place.
Yes, i have the muffler in place. Now that you say it, no. I don't hear the bypass. When the piston passes top dead center, i don't hear anything but it FEELS like it has good compression. please describe what seals you are talking about? Are you talking about the seals on the bearing itself? Actually, that makes sense. if the seals aren't there, the compression can pass right thru the bearing.

speedracerntrixie
Still don't have enough information to make an educated guess. What brand of ignition? What brand of IBEC? What is your starting procedure? To really help you we need as much detail as possible.

Tech Aero IBEC, CH-ignitions ignition, flip to start.