RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bvm p.n.p. cougar
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maiden Complete!

Maiden flight a success!!! Still trying to get used to the "scale" jet feel. Definitely feels different than any sport jet I have owned. Everything was set up per the BVM manual except for the expo. I put -40% expo (Futaba) in for the maiden flight. Kinda glad I did since I was a nervous wreck! Its been over a year since I have gotten the chance to fly anything. So I can safely say the 40% expo saved me!!!

(All throws, flaps, brakes set to BVM manual)

Lessons Learned:

Don't maiden with a cross wind~ On take off I over corrected and almost scrapped a wingtip.
CG as per manual, low rates felt mushy on the elevator. Not sure if it was the 40% expo or me. Just felt like I was giving more than I should (again sport jet to scale jet difference????)
Only 1 click down elevator and 3 clicks left aileron and she was flying straight and true. felt good at cruising speeds and during high speed passes.
I made a mistake mixing the elevator and flaps on take off flaps and landing flap settings. Manual says 1/6 up and 3/16 up. I had it reversed for some reason and had down mixed in. I could really feel this on landing as I seemed to be giving 1/2 elevator on approach. At first I thought I didn't have enough until I was going through the whole jet manual settings and found my mistake. I don't think the 40% expo helped that situation either. But I wanted to be clear and transparent since this wasn't a jet issue, it was pilot/setup error.
INSTALL THE WINGTIP SKIDZ! On landing I over corrected again and scrapped a wing. SKIDZ saved me. (need to soften the nose steering I guess)
4 mins with a Kingtech 140G2 and one go around with a dirty pass and I landed with about an inch of fuel left in the main tank. I know I did 2 circuits with the plane dirty and then went wheels up. I felt like I spent a majority of the time at 60% or so with only a few full throttle passes. Then again, I was a nervous wreck and kept the power on the test flight.

Not really fair feedback since my expo was cranked up and my elevator was mixed wrong. Just a few lessons learned to share with others.

Otherwise she handles amazing. Floats in nice and slow and just all around feels good in the air. She was for sale but not anymore. I want to get her set up just right.
Also, had a BVM rep reach out to me on FB and mentioned the body flaps really like to pitch the nose down. Make sure you mix the elevator / flaps correctly!!!! LMAO!

Last edited by Dblex; 06-02-2019 at 07:29 PM.