RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thrust to weight ratios
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Well I completely see it different. To fly scale you need a tonne of extra power. We don’t have the momentum of the full scale, so we need power to drive the airframe through. If you fly with lower power you have to fly faster to have the energy needed to do vertical type manoeuvres. Throttle is everything and I do see people struggling to manage that, but done right the result is stunning. A lot of scale jets will be in the 450-500 knot cruise speed range, At 1/5-1/6th scale that is very slow, I agree we have to increase the speed a little for the correct look, but it’s still very slow compared to what many are used to. My DerJet Vampire is perfectly powered with 32lb thrust, most of the flight is 1/3 throttle stick position, but as soon as you pull the nose up power is slowly applied and the speed pretty constant. This model un managed is like a Super Bandit as it’s very slippery.

The type of turbine will also affect that, the higher efflux speed types don’t work so well in scale jets.